Technology Hardware Analysis- Viewsonic ViewBoard Interactive Panel

This week I will be taking a look at the application opportunities surrounding the Viewsonic ViewBoard Interactive panels. I will be specifically looking at the IFP6550 model (now discontinued), which is advertised to have 10-touch capability, an embedded stereo system, digital whiteboard software, cast software, USB and HDMI ports, and HD resolution. This tool has the opportunity to enhance the ability to share, interact with, and collaborate with learning. I want to explore ideas for implementation with this panel, and determine its alignment with the M-Learning Framework (Kearney et al., 2012)
 (Kearney et al., 2012)

Personalisation

Personalisation is defined in the M-Learning Framework as including, "learner choice, agency and self-regulation as well as customisation." (Kearney et al., 2012). This part of the framework aligns with the current push for personalized learning and student voice and choice when it comes to education. In a personalized learning system, students are given the opportunity to set goals, engage with appropriate materials, and explore new learning in a way that meets their needs, interests, and learning preferences. 

The interactive panel could be used to display choice options in a "Must Do/May Do" or learning pathway format, or use the cast or whiteboard features to complete personalized assignments. It could be used to interact with data and information. Because it is designed as a collaborative tool, it doesn't appear to have an abundance of applications within the personalization branch within the framework. 


Authenticity

My perception of authenticity within this framework is most easily described as something that is related to a realistic situation. Educators strive to make learning reflect a "real world" problem or situation that answers the age-old question of "Why do I need to know this?" Thinking about implementation ideas for the interactive panel in this regard, I feel that again the largest mode of use would be in a display format. Groups, classes, teachers, or students could use the internet feature on the panel to research real-world problems that relate to their current learning. When studying geometry, the AI pen feature would allow students to find pictures of real items that are the shapes that they are discussing. Ideas for solving problems could be presented and debated. It could even become a board where groups brain dump ideas that they are interested in or problems that they think warrant a conversation. There are several applications that allow for the display and sharing of authentic learning opportunities.

Collaboration

The third piece of the framework centers around collaboration, which is expanded upon to focus on conversation and data sharing. Collaboration could be taken to mean between students within a class or school or collaborating and networking with those outside of the immediate physical space. I think this part of the framework is where the interactive panel finds its strongest role. The 10-touch feature allows multiple students to provide input, make changes, create, or manipulate information that is on the display. The cast feature allows students to share things they've discovered on their own in a way that the rest of the group can easily see and discuss. The whiteboard software and embedded web browser would allow groups to find and display a variety of information. There is a writing feature that can be applied over web pages or files that would allow for the illumination of points of importance or discussion. Overall, the panel could help groups have a central focus where they can make physical changes as their discussion and understanding shifts. 


Reflection
In all honesty, I was a bit disappointed in the repetitive nature of my thoughts during this evaluation. I absolutely love the interactive panel and I use it daily for my library lessons. However, this evaluation showed me the limits within which I have been operating regarding its uses. I generally use the cast feature from my hp laptop, and the touch features on my panel to display my lesson plans, follow links, show videos, or display Google Jamboard or Slides as a practice feature centered around the skill we are discussing. However, all I am really doing is displaying the work that my laptop is doing. That being said, it is not without its merits. I love the 10-touch feature and the opportunities it gives students to collaborate, but I do not use this feature as much as it deserves. This analysis, if anything, highlighted my own shortcomings and the fact that I do not use all of its features regularly, and often treat it as a higher-tech overhead projector. I hope to remedy this in the future and use the M-learning Framework pieces t

Here are some links designed to help teachers begin brainstorming ideas for using the panel. This link from We Are Teachers written by Marlana Martinelli showcases 20 ways that she uses the panel. Along the same lines, this article from ViewSonic's website discussing six ideas for boosting productivity in the classroom by using the panels. ViewSonic North America also has a Youtube channel that houses videos designed to teach users how to utilize all of the tools and gives educators examples of how to use them in the classroom. 


References 
Davis, C. (2021, March 26). 6 ways to boost classroom productivity with interactive flat panels. ViewSonic Library. https://www.viewsonic.com/library/education/boost-classroom-productivity-with-interactive-flat-panels/ 

Kearney, M., Schuck, S., Burden, K., & Aubusson, P. (2012). Viewing mobile learning from a pedagogical perspective. Research in Learning Technology, 20(1). https://doi.org/10.3402/rlt.v20i0.14406

Martinelli, M. (2021, May 19). 20 ways I use my interactive flat panel to save time and my sanity. We Are Teachers. https://www.weareteachers.com/20-ways-i-use-my-interactive-flat-panel-to-save-time-and-my-sanity/ 

ViewSonic North America. (2009). ViewSonic North America [YouTube Channel]. YouTube. Retrieved September 23, 2021, from https://www.youtube.com/c/ViewSonicUS/playlists 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Well Rounded Informational Diet is the New(ish) Frontier

AASL and ISTE Standards Through the Eyes of a Newbie

TechTools: Tinkercad